[mythtv-users] FrontEnd will connect if feels like it

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jul 7 04:50:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 17:34:49 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Folks!
>

>Using a Backend of Mythbuntu 16.04 and a Frontend of Ubuntu 16.04 and
>MythTV 0.28. This particular Frontend will sometimes connect to the
>Backend – when it does great, when it doesn't goes to the 'Language
>Select' screen, which appears to be normal for a bad connect. Using the
>Terminal command 'mythfrontend' will give me a session log which I have
>partially copied below, one for when it connects and one for when it did
>not.
>

>Noted both said “access denied for user mythtv at localhost”. That
>surprised me as is a key finding in the need to re-install MySQL What
>seems to be the problem is the FE will try to connect using an IPv6
>address (I'm too much of a newbie to be sure), yet I can exit, repeat
>the command and it will connect with the IPv4 address (or at least the
>correct one) inserted.
>

>In the logs below in realtime I captured the Didn't Connect first, then
>the Did Connect but easier for me to look at what worked and compare to
>what's not working, so posted backwards per clock time.
>

>Any help in correcting this connection problem appreciated! “Extra
>points” for what I'm guessing is a permissions error with
>'/home/barry/.mythtv'. I can't change Themes but at least I can watch
>recordings! (When it decides to connect!)
>

>Thanks!!
>

>Barry

Is this happening when you start the frontend box?  If so, it may well
be a race condition at startup, so mythfrontend is trying to connect
before the network connection is up properly.  Does the frontend box
get its IPv4 address via DHCP?  If so, that often takes a lot longer
than it takes for a box to get its link-local (fe80::) IPv6 address up
and working.  So if mythfrontend tries to connect before DHCP has done
its job, then it will only have an IPv6 address to try and will use
that.  If this is what is happening, if you shut down and restart
mythfrontend without rebooting the box, it should then connect
normally as the IPv4 address will be available by then.

The solution is likely to be changing the settings in the file that
starts mythfrontend so that it waits until after IPv4 networking is
fully up.  Or maybe getting the entire desktop startup to wait for
that.  I am still using 14.04 so I am just learning about systemd and
how it starts things, so maybe someone else has already encountered
this problem and can advise a good solution.  I have got a test 16.04
box running but I am not yet sure where mythfrontend is started from.