[mythtv-users] Fanless video card for 1080p?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 18:19:47 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > You can actually get those with HDMI now but I'm not sure how well it
> would
> > perform so instead I'm looking at a GT730, but the current ones with 384
> > CUDA cores has DDR3 memory instead of GDDR5. Does that actually matter
> for
> > VDPAU?
>
> Reportedly not unless you are also a gamer.  While
> de-interlacing does require memory bandwidth, it is
> nothing compared to rendering in a FPS.  There were
> at least two reports of people happy with GT730s
> (new gen) on the list, as I recall, and no negatives,
> so based on anecdotal evidence, what could
> possibly go wrong?

Well, for $60 I can take a chance :)

The qvdpautests that I recall being documented
> also shows that card should work (although,
> as we all know, driver versions can improve or
> hurt those numbers, and I have not looked at the
> results for quite some time).

Yes, it looks to be supported by the 340 series I'm running now with the
8400GS and with the current stable 358 drivers, so I can switch between
them fairly easily if I run into a problem.

> > Here's the card I'm looking at:
> >
> > http://amzn.com/B00NN97MMY
>
> I have never physically handled that card, but previously
> some of the Zotacs of that design would not actually fit
> in some low profile cases, or manage to coexist
> with some other cards in the next slot(s) (it is just a little
> bit taller, and just a little bit wider than a true single
> slot low profile card(*)).  If those characteristics matter
> you may want to be sure you choose a retailer that
> has a liberal return policy.

Shouldn't be a problem for me. I've got a full tower in the entertainment
center for my combined FE/BE so space should not be a problem, and this
will be the only card in it.

Thanks,
Richard