[mythtv-users] Suitable laptop/notebook with nVidia out via HDMI?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Jan 20 05:21:35 UTC 2016

On 01/19/2016 08:16 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 17:30:50 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> I'm starting to think about replacing my old Lenovo M58P with something
>> else for my combined MythTV front end and back end. As I was sitting
>> there looking over at the collection of hardware the other day, it
>> occurred to me to wonder about using a somewhat recent laptop or
>> notebook for the job. I see that there are laptops with nVidia video
>> hardware, but my initial reading has shown me that there are gotchas.
>> One of the search results I found was http://blog.langfinger.org/?p=203
>> which says, "... Nvidia does not support the Linux platform officially
>> yet ..." So I see that it's not as simple as asking if the laptop has
>> HDMI out from an nVidia graphics chip.
>>
>> Has anyone tried using a laptop as a MythTV front end and back end machine?
> Yes, I have been doing this for years, on my old Asus laptop and now
> on my MSI GT70.

Thanks for all the details. I don't expect to ever take it with me on a
trip, as I'll have it set to record stuff while I'm gone. But I
appreciated the gotchas you encountered with Mythbuntu 14.04. I'll keep
those in mind, as I assume that's what I'll be using. My current setup
is a stock Ubuntu 12.04 with MythTV added. I did that because I wanted
to be able to do a few other things with the box while it wasn't
recording or playing back TV. But since those things are fairly limited
-- a small amount of web surfing, and playing back music with Totem
Movie Player -- I can always just add those.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens