[mythtv-users] Suitable laptop/notebook with nVidia out via HDMI?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jan 20 04:20:24 UTC 2016

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 02:55:35 +0100, you wrote:

>Hoi Dick,
>
>Wednesday, January 20, 2016, 2:30:50 AM, you wrote:
>
>> I'm starting to think about replacing my old Lenovo M58P with something
>> else for my combined MythTV front end and back end. As I was sitting
>> there looking over at the collection of hardware the other day, it
>> occurred to me to wonder about using a somewhat recent laptop or
>> notebook for the job. I see that there are laptops with nVidia video
>> hardware, but my initial reading has shown me that there are gotchas.
>> One of the search results I found was
>> http://blog.langfinger.org/?p=203
>> which says, "... Nvidia does not support the Linux platform officially
>> yet ..." So I see that it's not as simple as asking if the laptop has
>> HDMI out from an nVidia graphics chip.
>
>> Has anyone tried using a laptop as a MythTV front end and back end machine?
>
>Have you thought about it that the only possible way to add
>datastorage is usb!? Not by far optimal even usb3. Frontend should be
>OK, but backend...

USB 3 is just fine for recordings.  The only complication I have found
is that Mythbuntu shuts down USB 3 connected drives after a fairly
short idle timeout, and I have not found a way of adjusting that yet.
But the drives start up fast enough that MythTV can start a recording
on them with no problems as long as you have the setting on that does
an automatic 60 second preroll (which I always do anyway).