[mythtv-users] Does master backend in 0.28 still needs a tuner?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 19 11:45:23 UTC 2016

On 01/18/2016 01:23 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 18/01/16 13:32, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
>> On 16/01/16 10:40, Peter Carlsson wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Is it still true in 0.28 that the master backend needs to have
>>> at least one own tuner defined?
>>>
>>> The Wiki (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbackend) says:
>>> "Each backend can have any number of tuners. A machine that does
>>>   not have any tuners attached can store and serve content by
>>>   running mythmediaserver instead of mythbackend."
>>>
>>> I know there are workarounds for it.
>>>
>>> I would like to move the master backend to my server which is
>>> available 24/7. But I can not move my tuners to the server.
>>>
>> Not at this time, sadly that's still on the todo list :(
>>

> The MythBuntu guys are using this patch to allow the backend to start
> up without any tuners.
> https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/blob/master/deb/debian/patches/allow_no_tuners.patch
>

> So if you use there packages the BE will start up without any tuners
> already.
>
> Not sure why "upstream" don't like it?

Primarily because it doesn't do anything about the MythTV backends'
dependence on EncoderLink, which itself is dependent on having
tuners/"encoders"/inputs.  So, it allows the backend to run in such a
way that--if nothing else--disk representation (and assignment/usage)
won't work properly in some configurations.

Mike