[mythtv-users] Does master backend in 0.28 still needs a tuner?

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Tue Jan 19 10:47:33 UTC 2016

On 18/01/16 18:23, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 18/01/16 13:32, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
>> On 16/01/16 10:40, Peter Carlsson wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Is it still true in 0.28 that the master backend needs to have
>>> at least one own tuner defined?
>>>
>>> The Wiki (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbackend) says:
>>> "Each backend can have any number of tuners. A machine that does
>>>   not have any tuners attached can store and serve content by
>>>   running mythmediaserver instead of mythbackend."
>>>
>>> I know there are workarounds for it.
>>>
>>> I would like to move the master backend to my server which is
>>> available 24/7. But I can not move my tuners to the server.
>>>
>> Not at this time, sadly that's still on the todo list :(
>>

>> Regards
>> Stuart
>>

> The MythBuntu guys are using this patch to allow the backend to start up
> without any tuners.
> https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/blob/master/deb/debian/patches/allow_no_tuners.patch
>

> So if you use there packages the BE will start up without any tuners
> already.
>
> Not sure why "upstream" don't like it?

That I'm not sure of either. We need to commit something like this
in order for the backend webserver to be useful.

The backend needs to start up with zero configuration so that you
can talk to it and populate all the configuration including tuners.

I do have an open ticket about "bootstrapping" the database from
the command line. So the process would be something like

- Install packages
- Bootstrap database
- Startup backend
- Talk to backend webserver to configure.

Still a lot on the todo list though :(

Regards
Stuart Auchterlonie