[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase failure diagnosis

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 21:16:39 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > mfdb seems to have some shortcomings that could prevent this from
> happening
> > in the first place and/or make it easier to diagnose.  Are you saying
> that
> > these are fixed in a more recent version?
>
> Yes, and in 299141e0a (around 16 months ago)
> this was addressed (and at that revision, there
> is also additional logging).
>
> To paraphrase Mr. Santayana, those that fail
> to upgrade regularly to the current fixes level
> are doomed to experience all the known issues
> all over again.

Gary:

I had done a clean mythbuntu install a few weeks ago and assumed (I know)
that it would install the current fixes, and didn't realize what I was
running was that old.  So I just did a big software upgrade, with some
trepidation (because according to Mr. Antisantayana, big upgrades can
sometimes break things).  But the system still boots and I'm running
0.27.5, so it looks like it went fine.

In any case, no disrespect intended to the devs with my comment about the
bugs in that old version of mfdb, and I was prepared to write a patch if
needed.

Michael: typo on my part; I meant --logpath.

-Jerry