[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase failure diagnosis

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:56:20 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 01/17/2016 12:07 AM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>
>> When mythbackend runs mythfilldatabase, or when I run it as user
>> 'mythtv', it seems like it's working, but no new guide data is inserted in
>> the database.  When I run it as a root user, it works fine.  What is going
>> on?  Seems like it's a permissions thing, but I'm not sure where.
>>

> sudo rm -rf /tmp/myth*
>
> and then never run it as root, again.  The temp files shouldn't be a
> problem, but could be depending on which revision you have.  That may not
> fix it, but it's a good first step.

And a good last step.  That was it, thanks!

mfdb seems to have some shortcomings that could prevent this from happening
in the first place and/or make it easier to diagnose.  Are you saying that
these are fixed in a more recent version?

mythfilldatabase --version yields:

MythTV Version : v0.27-193-g8ee257c
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
Network Protocol : 77
Library API : 0.27.20140323-1
QT Version : 4.8.6

Also, is there a switch I need apart from --logfile in order for the
logging to work?  The output says it's using a logfile in the right place,
but none is created.

-Jerry