[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase failure diagnosis

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 05:07:02 UTC 2016

When mythbackend runs mythfilldatabase, or when I run it as user 'mythtv',
it seems like it's working, but no new guide data is inserted in the
database.  When I run it as a root user, it works fine.  What is going on?
Seems like it's a permissions thing, but I'm not sure where.

My setup:
- mythbuntu 14.04 install
- version fixes/0.27
- mfdb options: --dd-grab-all --remove-new-channels --logpath
/var/log/mythtv

Note that no log file is created for mfdb in either case.  mythbackend.log
is written to without issue.

After mfdb hasn't run for a few days, mythweb says this on the status page
(and still says it after a manual run as user mythtv):

Last mythfilldatabase run started on Sat Jan 16 2016, 10:32 PM and ended on
Sat Jan 16 2016, 10:36 PM. mythfilldatabase ran, but did not insert any new
data into the Guide for 1 of 1 sources. This can indicate a potential
grabber failure.
There's guide data until 2016-01-27 03:00:00 (10 day(s)).
DataDirect Status: Your subscription expires on Sun Jun 19 2016 10:23 PM

When I run it from my other user:

Last mythfilldatabase run started on Sat Jan 16 2016, 11:26 PM and ended on
Sat Jan 16 2016, 11:28 PM. Successful.
There's guide data until 2016-01-30 08:00:00 (13 day(s)).
DataDirect Status: Your subscription expires on Sun Jun 19 2016 10:23 PM

It updates the date reported that mfdb was last run in both cases.
I have the console output of running it from both ways, and it is
substantially the same.

Any suggestions on what to look at welcome.

-Jerry