[mythtv-users] Mirroring root partition on SSD to a hard drive -- bad idea?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 04:24:50 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> Not for quite a while now - the electronics boards are now tied to the
> physical drive and swapping them does not help at all.  I think there
> is an ID written to a special area of the drive that has to match one
> in the electronics.

It depends on the specifics, but it is common that components
on the PCB contain stored information such as where on the
drive the firmware is actually located, or other platter specific
information.  Sometimes you can exchange PCBs if you can
also swap the bios or control chips (but sometimes they are
the ones that are fried, and in any case, these days often
require SMT rework equipment that most do not have).  There
are companies who will try to transfer the firmware info, but
they may or may not be able to do so.  If the drive is already
fried, sometimes it might be worth the exercise, but if you
really really care about the data and need to recovered, you
likely need to pass it all off to one of the data recovery
services, and they charge accordingly.