[mythtv-users] Mirroring root partition on SSD to a hard drive -- bad idea?

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 18:02:54 UTC 2016

Two of the drives that failed were OCZ and didn't throw any errors prior to
failure.  One, actually, was partially readable, but it looked like one
bank of memory had failed and almost every file had corrupt blocks, or
couldn't be read.  It lasted in that state for about 2 hours.

I can't remember the other type that failed.  SanDisk, maybe?  Also failed
catastrophically (no prior warning, then DEAD).  I've got Samsung drives
now (< 3 years old) and they haven't failed yet.  But still, I don't put
anything on an SSD that I can't rebuild or restore from a regular hard
drive.  Mainly, they are my / partitions and /home directory ( / is
rebuildable, /home is backed up nightly to a HDD).

Regular HDD's are a lot more forgiving about read errors.  True, a
controller failure can stop the drive cold, but you can always buy an
identical model, swap the board and get your data back.  Same for
corruption.  My daughter's MacBook drive died, but I was able to recover
about 90% of the data off of it even with all the read errors (and it took
like 24+ hours to read the initial image to another hard drive to start the
restoration process).