[mythtv-users] User Job fails.

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Jan 15 11:27:56 UTC 2016

On 15/01/16 03:35, Mark Perkins wrote:

>>> Not easily and not in a supported way. The recommendation I think would be
>>> to give both the original and new SD version files a name that was parseable
>>> by mythvideo and move into a video storage group if you wanted to maintain
>>> both a HD and SD version of the same recording.
>>
>> Having no clue as to how to do that, can anyone chime in with the
>> details?
>
> Check the wiki for full details of what mythvideo can / cannot do but in short it is a way of making non myth files available inside MythTV - in a fashion. Two key points - firstly files through mythvideo appear in the mythvideo screens not the recording screens and are handled 100% separately to recordings; secondly there is no ongoing linkage between the recording metadata and the mythvideo metadata. For example if you watch something that you pushed to mythvideo from your recordings it won't mark it as watched in the recording screens.
>

> In my opinion your simplest option will be to keep the original recording as is and create a script to transcode a SD version into a mythvideo directory. The challenge will be to script the creation of the new file name in such a way that mythvideo can reliably parse it with minimal or no manual intervention. If you ask others might chime in with their scripts but I don't have anything suitable. Otherwise the script mythlink.pl may be a good place to start. Note that this option will depend heavily on the quality of the metadata that you are getting from your guide provider, see some of the recent Plex threads for others having file naming troubles.
>
> Alternatively is there anything that can be done to allow your FE to play HD? There are some great results being achieved on Raspberry Pi, what FE hardware do you have?

I've been browsing the wiki for scripts, and it looks to me as if

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Copy_and_transcode.pl

aims to do what you asked for - ie create a second (or more) transcoded
recording(s), leaving the original in place.  That's something I've
occasionally wanted to do, as well.  But I haven't tried it.  As posted,
it uses the 'normal' mythtranscode, not a wrapped custom script.

It's nearly 3 years old, and there might be dragons...  Caveat emptor.

John P