[mythtv-users] Mirroring root partition on SSD to a hard drive -- bad idea?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 02:36:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:47 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> I would skip the mirroring approach and just make a regular backup.

An important consideration is what is the backup for?  For a
BE, and presuming that you are not backing up your recording
directors, the only thing you (really) need to restore is possible
the database and (possibly) the mythtv home directory.
Same for the FE.  If you cannot (trivially) reinstall a new BE
or FE from scratch you may need to upskill (and perhaps you
should consider creating your own ansible definitions to help
you if you do not use a dedicated distro such as mythbuntu).

And, I will always add my personal caveat, that is is only TV.
It is not like if someone enters your residence and steals all
of your hardware, or that an earthquake destroys your
residence, that your life ends.  And if it does (due to the loss
of your MythTV system), you need to rethink how you are
doing things.  I like MythTV.  I depend on it for many things.
If it disappeared tomorrow I would be unhappy, but life goes
on.