[mythtv-users] scheduler doesn't run ?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 20:38:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Per Jessen <per at computer.org> wrote:
> Both /tmp and /var/tmp are on real iron.

Mysql (in most configuration) will use /tmp for temporary table
storage.  And if /tmp is marked with barriers, this can be slow.
I would recommend you either move /tmp to tmpfs (common
in many more recent distros), or change the mysql temp table
location to another tmpfs backed place, or specify enough
memory in the mysql configuration such that the temp tables
are never written to "disk" at all (or only in extreme situations).

> This morning I did an optimize of "recordedseek" (millions of rows) which
> seems to have improved things.  I'll report back later.

I could (very easily) be wrong, but I do not think the scheduler
cares about recordedseek.  On the other hand, the optimize
script does optimize/analyze all the tables such that you
may see improvements there.  Creating (more) accurate
statistics for the DB engine to optimize its query can help a
lot.