[mythtv-users] Plex integration

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:06:46 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 8:44 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 12/30/2015 02:21 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/07/2015 06:59 AM, Matt Emmott wrote:
>>>
>>> One important piece is that the symlinks you create don't automatically

>>> -----
>>> Note that when specifying |--filename| or |--chanid| and |--starttime|,
>>> deletion of old symlinks is suppressed. Therefore, anyone using this
>>> script
>>> in a user job or with the event system should still run the script
>>> occasionally without the |--filename| or |--chanid| and |--starttime|
>>> arguments to allow removal of links that referred to recordings since
>>> deleted. Alternatively, you may use a script triggered on "Recording
>>> deleted" and "Recording expired" to remove the specific link when its
>>> recording is removed.
>>> -----
>>>
>>> So, if you use the alternate option, you could have the link deleted
>>> immediately upon recording deletion/expiration, so that there's never a
>>> link to a non-existent recording.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Right but the problem with that is that it recreates all the symlinks from
>> scratch, which creates all new timestamps. Then Plex has to reindex
>> everything, which takes some time (I have 4TB of recordings). More
>> importantly though browsing shows by most recently added doesn't work
>> because they all have the same file creation timestamp.
>>

> No, as I said, the alternate option.  To quote, again:
> -----
> Alternatively, you may use a script triggered on "Recording
> deleted" and "Recording expired" to remove the specific link when its
> recording is removed.
> ---
>
> Mike

I misunderstood what you meant by "alternate" option. I inferred that it
you were referring to an option built into the script itself. But
re-re-reading it, I see you're talking about using some sort of other
script that is triggered by recording deleted or expired, which would
delete just that one specific file. But I'm not smart enough to do anything
outside of the norm, so I wouldn't know where to begin to write a script
like that. I assume it would be some sort of simple for loop but I don't
know how to input just that specific filename.

Thanks,
Matt