[mythtv-users] Is 0.28 going to support HEVC does anyone know?

Bjoern Voigt bjoernv at arcor.de
Tue Jan 12 13:04:26 UTC 2016

Another Sillyname wrote:
> IF (and it's a big IF) the German transmissions have complied with the
> HEVC standard they SHOULD work.....the problem will be if anyone has
> done some 'tinkering'.
>
> This wikipedia piece makes interesting reading as the likelyhood of
> licencing costs is raising it's ugly head.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding
We will see. Currently testing is complicated:

  * the test broadcasts in Berlin, Munich and Cologne-Bonn are not for end users, which may not be important for us
  * there are no DVB-T2 HD USB adapters on the marked AFAIK - older DVB-T2 USB adapters may work too
  * DVB-T2 HD is not an official feature of MythTV 0.29, because of the feature freeze and because nobody put this on the feature wishlist earlier

I am confident that if functions like channel search, tuning, EIT, stream demultiplexing etc. are working, HEVC compatible decoding will not be a big issue.

Greetings,
Björn