[mythtv-users] Testing latest Mythv

Bjoern Voigt bjoernv at arcor.de
Mon Jan 11 09:28:47 UTC 2016

John McEntee wrote:
> There has been some discussion that the latest development version of mythtv does not get tested enough as potential tester are unhappy with disturbing their "production" backend. I know I am one of the worst culprits as I am still running 0.24 but I am asking this list. Who would be willing to test that latest master branch, but does not at the moment because of some barrier?
>
> I have a plan for my own setup that is going to involved creating a docker image that I can use to import my master database (script changes to hostnames etcc.) Then mount the mythtv directories with a union filesystem (aufs?). This second master could then be used for testing (including recording with a additional USB tuner / network tunner),without  effecting the original backend.
>
> Would anyone else use a preconfigured docker image like this for testing.What are peoples favourite distributions? (aufs not in the main line kernel so I think only available on the ubuntu docker images, I don't really know docker yet).
I am also interested in testing MythTV 0.28, but without loosing my working 0.27 setup.

Therefore I installed MythTV 0.28 in it's own prefix /usr/local/mythtv-0.28. And I want to setup two MySQL databases.

Can I run MythFrontend with two versions of the configuration files $HOME/.mythtv/mysql.txt and $HOME/.mythtv/config.xml?
(I looked in the source code and found some scripts with hardcoded paths for configuration files.)

MythBackend seems to load the MySQL settings from ~mythbackend/.mythtv/mysql.txt or ~mythbackend/.mythtv/config.txt.

Is there a solution which is more elegant than renaming or symlinking the mysql.txt and config.txt files?

Greetings,
Björn