[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 - draft frontend setup steps

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Sat Jan 9 23:16:33 UTC 2016

On 10/01/16 08:59, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> Since my LCD monitor is only 1680x1050 the edges of the video image
> are not visible on the screen.  This is the same as with my Intel
> MythTV Backend/Frontend combination and is likely due to how the
> monitor handles a 1080 HDMI feed.

There's a whole host of settings you can apply in your /boot/config.txt to
set the monitor to it's native mode.

For example, for 1680x1050, according to:
http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options

The /boot/config.txt entry *should* give you native resolution ~

hdmi_drive=1      # Output HDMI sound
hdmi_group=2     # DMT (monitor, !TV) mode
hdmi_mode=58   # 1680x1050 60Hz

(maybe you need to disable overscan too, I don't remember (disable_overscan=1)).

That said, my (old) TV is natively 1366x768 and no mode resulted in a
working display.
Another non-interesting fact is that this TV (an old samsung) outputs a
rather sub-optimal range of
sizes for the EDID information, saying the best mode to drive it is
1280x720p.  I guess this is correct
IFF one limits oneself to "CEA" display sizes.

I previously had this TV at native resolution on mythtv (on a PC), and am
still investigating converting a modeline into a config.txt entry.  For the
moment I switched to an old PC monitor.

cheers,
-kt