[mythtv-users] Remote Suggestions

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Thu Jan 7 03:45:10 UTC 2016

Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote on Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 11:01:14AM -0500:
> The issue that I know I would have with that remote is how few buttons are
> around the directional pad area.  These are the buttons I use most... back,
> menu, info, guide, options, favorites, page+ page-, additionally the volume
> +/- and channel +/- are not a stretch to reach from the "home" position...
> I programmed my receiver's volume controls to the channel +/- buttons in
> DVR mode (we don't use them for mythtv) so being able to quickly adjust the
> volume of both the TV, and receiver if it is on, is important to me.  I
> just think I would feel too constrained by your remote's layout.

Different strokes for different folks, obviously. I'll just mention a couple of
the things I like about mine: I use the Back key a lot for exiting
playback/menus, and I think its position northwest of the directional pad is
more convenient than where the Return button is on the Sony. After the
directional pad and Back, I use the Play and Skip Forward/Back buttons the most,
so I like that they're close to the remote's sweet spot and are bigger than the
surrounding buttons. The remote curves inward right where the most-used buttons
are, so less thumb travel is required there.

(http://www.amazon.com/Azend-Group-MediaGate-HA-IR01SV-Ultimate/dp/B00123UGWQ --
I don't think I linked it earlier.)

And for the record, I'd say Back, Menu (assigned to the Windows logo button),
Info, and Page+/- are all near the directional pad on my remote, leaving only
Guide, Options, and Favorites from your list. Do you use the Options and
Favorites buttons frequently in MythTV or for other devices? If MythTV, what
actions do you map them to?

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'd get used to the different layout
after a while and would appreciate being able to control the TV power and
volume. I'll probably give the Sony a try, either in person like you suggested
or just getting one. The $20 might be worth avoiding a trip to Best Buy.