[mythtv-users] Remote Suggestions

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Tue Jan 5 18:08:24 UTC 2016

---- On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 16:34:26 +0000 Mike Perkins<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote ----
 > On 05/01/16 14:24, Tim Draper wrote:
 > > https://support.myharmony.com/en-gb/compatibility is worth a check if your interested.
 > >
 > > i'd avoid the harmony 650 which i'm currently using, due to IR strength issues, a few usability issues and no option to upgrade to the harmony hub box if you need non-IR devices controlled.
 > > i've used the harmony 555 before these, so i'm a fan on harmony remotes even if the 650 was a bad buy. more down to the remote itself than a flaw of the harmony ecosystem.
 > >
 > I've never had strength issues with my Harmony 650 - except when the batteries need replacing. YMMV,
 > of course.
 >
 > --
 >
 > Mike Perkins

Interesting. Even with new batteries, i find it's very directional and far too easy for it to miss a step in the activity. a few amazon reviews said the same but i took the risk as it was on a price low point. Even 20degrees off, it'd usually fail to start one of my devices. The 555 it replaced could be pointed any direction in the room and it would still work.
Could be because of my plasma TV actually; 555 was powerful enough to get over it, the 650 could be fine without plasma TV flooding the IR spectrum.

Either way, I'm finding more things allowing/only supporting non-IR communication, the harmony hub seems like a good future-resilient option for me personally.