[mythtv-users] Remote Suggestions

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Tue Jan 5 17:32:21 UTC 2016

>> ---- On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:48:12 +0000 Robert Dege  wrote ----
>>> I recently built a mythfrontend system using mythbuntu.  I'm looking
>>> to purchase a remote that will allow me to control the TV (volume,
>>> power, inputs), and mythtv.  Can anyone suggest a cost-effective
>>> remote that can work with 3rd party receivers?

The best "bang for the buck" in remotes is JP1 models, which are made by
UEI and sold under various brand names. These models are inexpensive
(some are $10 or less, with good mid-range models in the $15-$30 range).
They're programmable via third-party software with a USB adapter, which
is another $15 or $20 via eBay. (There are at least two software
projects, one of which is Java-based and runs under Linux.) Without the
software and adapter cable, you'll be limited to whatever devices are
pre-programmed at the factory. In fact, you may already have such a
remote, since many cable operators use JP1 remotes. See the wiki and forum:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

Currently, the Atlas 5 and RCA RCRP05BR seem to be well-liked. You can
find these on eBay, and the RCA perhaps in local stores. Note, though,
that not all UEI remotes are JP1 models; "JP1" refers to a six-pin
header in the battery compartment, and some UEI models lack this header.
Searching on "JP1 remote" on eBay turns up many listings for things that
clearly are not JP1 remotes, so research a model before putting down money.

The advantage of a JP1 remote over something like a Harmony is cost --
you can get a basic-to-midrange JP1 remote plus cable for $25 to $50,
vs. $75 to over $100 for a Harmony. The drawback is that the JP1 isn't
as flexible or easy-to-use for programming purposes. Still, JP1 gives
you more than half the functionality of a Harmony for less than half the
price.

--
Rod Smith
mythtv at rodsbooks.com