[mythtv-users] Turn off "cable" box after viewing.

Rob Davis rob at davis-family.info
Mon Jan 4 16:36:29 UTC 2016

I have managed to get an IPTV box working and built into Myth.  This
includes a channel changer script which starts streaming and turns to the
correct "channel", to go alongside an EPG.  However, I'd like to run
another script (which I already have), which turns off the stream to
conserve bandwidth and resources.

Google seems to suggest that I don't bother, but that's mainly due to
electrical, rather than bandwidth considerations.  The script I will use
checks mythfrontend/status to make sure the channel is not being viewed
before issuing the stop stream command, however, I'd like Myth to run it
automatically at the end of live tv viewing or recording.  Is there a way
to do this?  I haven't looked into the event scripts option too much - is
there a hook there?

I am using an HDPVR to get the data from the settop box (a Mag254) via HDMI
to Component converter, into Myth, and a script which uses ssh to change
channels.