[mythtv-users] Mythtv screensaver behaviour

Jonatan Lindblad mythtv at comhem.se
Sun Jan 3 16:50:43 UTC 2016

Den 2015-12-30 kl. 13:02, skrev Another Sillyname:

<snip>

> Guys
>
> Sorry to be a bit anal but a number have people have posted along the
> lines of "....xscreensaver just works.....".
>
> This is an imprecise statement as I'd already stated that while
> xscreensaver screen blanking does appear to work as required the power
> management element of it is NOT working correctly, so people posting
> that xscreensaver "just works" may not be using power management or
> it's settings may be either not turned on or set for such a long time
> window that they don't 'see' the problem.
>
> Could users possibly try the following.....
>
> In xscreensaver settings
>
> advanced settings
>
> Display Power Management
>
> Turn on >> Power Management Enabled
>
> Set "Standby After" for say two minutes
>
> In the 'Display Modes" setting set "Blank After" for say 5 minutes
> (any value larger then the period set in "Standby After" above works
> here)
>
> exit the settings
>
> start mythfrontend and start playing a video and leave it running with
> no further key presses or remote inputs
>
> see if the screen goes into power save mode after the period set in
> "Standby After" even though a video is running.
>
> I'd be interested to hear if people are surprised to find that Power
> Save kicks in even though a video is running.....this is not the
> desired behaviour but is what I'm seeing.

Have you always tested it this way?

Each time you quit xscreensaver-demo (the settings application) the
configuration file (~/.xscreensaver) will be rewritten.  If you now
start mythfrontend and play a video it will disable DPMS as it should.
 However when xscreensaver-command -deactivate is executed the first
time, xscreensaver will detect that its configuration file has been
changed and the DPMS settings will be reapplied.  DPMS should now be
enabled.  If you pause and resume playback DPMS should now work as
expected until you change the configuration the next time.

If you simply run xscreensaver without touching its settings DPMS should
work.

This could of course be dependent of the xscreensaver version.  I tested
with and checked the source code of version 5.34.

--
Jonatan