[mythtv-users] Plex integration

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 3 03:06:11 UTC 2016

> On 3 Jan 2016, at 8:43 am, Michael <mythtv at blandford.net> wrote:
>
>> On 01/02/2016 06:44 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote
>>
>> No, as I said, the alternate option.  To quote, again:
>> -----
>> Alternatively, you may use a script triggered on "Recording
>> deleted" and "Recording expired" to remove the specific link when its
>> recording is removed.
>> ---
>

> The problem with this method is if you have a show that doesn't have good season or episode data then you may not get a link created.
>
> For example, I record a show called Living Alaska.  It regularly doesn't populate season, episode, or even title data.
>
> If I run it as triggered, then I just get something like:
> Living Alaska - SE - Untiltled.mpg
>
> for the first show.  When the next showing happens, it tries to make the same name which conflicts with the previous copy.  As a result, it doesn't create any link.  Now I have a show that isn't accessible via plex.
>
> However, if I run it as a stand alone job once a day, I get
>
> Living Alaska - SE - Untitled.2.mpg
> Living Alaska - SE - Untitled.3.mpg
> Living Alaska - SE - Untitled.4.mpg
> Living Alaska - SE - Untitled.5.mpg
> Living Alaska - SE - Untitled.6.mpg
> Living Alaska - SE - Untitled.7.mpg
> Living Alaska - SE - Untitled.mpg
> etc
>
> This obviously has the issue of having updated link dates impacting plex.
>
> I could add the recording date or some other info to the recording to make it unique, but that then confuses plex.
>
> Michael

The 'best' answer is probably to 'somehow' improve the quality of the EPG as low quality EPG causes all sorts of annoyances (duplicate detection being the classic but many others as well). However easier said than done. My approach has been to have a user job that I fire after manually fixing up the missing or incorrect data - ie subtitle, season and episode - in the recording metadata screen.

If you wanted to still auto run it once recordings finish you could try adding a wrapper script that returns an error when information is missing allowing you to correct it before re running. However this may not be straight forward as for a movie you may only need a title and year of release whereas for a TV show you may need subtitle, season and episode - ie you need to be able to first tell which it is before checking for missing data.

I don't remember, do you have the plex mythtv channel working? That may be a simpler workaround.