[mythtv-users] problems with livetv playback OS X Install

Rob Jensen bertaboy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 23:09:35 UTC 2016

On Jan 2, 2016, at 5:15 PM, airdrummer <air_drummer at verizon.net> wrote:

> Craig Treleaven wrote:
>
>> It did not “fail silently”; the logs clearly identify that
>
> no, the output i posted was to stdout, not to a log.
>
> >  your setup is incomplete or broken.
>
> no, as i posted, my setup works just fine using another machine's prefs prefix, it just doesn't work with whatever default prefs are used.
>
>> the logs_are_  there and the problem is that you have been unable to locate them.
>> You appear to have a significant problem following directions that are clear to most others.
>
> what directions? --logpath /opt/dvr/var/log/mythtv.27 has no logs...where else might they be?
>
>> It appears that all you need to do is run mythtv-setup on the master backend  and perhaps just fill in a start channel.
>
> and why would f/e config need 2 b set on the b/e?

One of the settings defined in the back-end is each tuner's default channel. Odds are this setting is telling the tuner to start the fe on a non-existing channel. Your Luther fe isn't affected by this setting because it is starting at the last-viewed channel from that device, which probably is still a valid channel. Since the new fe doesn't have this advantage (i.e. Valid, working history) the the fe is defaulting to the invalid setting.  The solution is as simple as running mythtv-setup on the backend, navigating to the tuner setup page, and hitting the right or left arrow where asked for a default or starting channel.