[mythtv-users] Comcast MPEG4 requirements?

G Ui guierrmo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 19:48:27 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 2/28/2016 11:21 AM, Tom Harris wrote:

>> > I just got the Comcast letter saying my service will be going to MPEG4
>> ~ 2/23/16 (SF Bay Area).  I
>> > have seen earlier questions about this, but I couldn’t find a
>> definitive response on what is needed
>> > to prepare for the change.
>>
>> > I’m mostly concerned about backend issues.  I use HDHomeRun Prime
>> (which I gather works fine with
>> > this) with a mythbuntu backend running 0.27.6
>>
>> > Can anyone who is already on MPEG4 confirm it’s working?
>>
>> > Are there any configuration or version requirements?
>>

>> I am also in the Bay Area and mine was supposed to happen on or around
>> 2/11.  I forgot about it and didn't notice any problems.  I checked my
>> recent recordings and I've only seen one channel so far (beIN Sports HD)
>> that's switched.  (I am using a couple of HDHR Primes with MythTV master
>> from a couple of weeks ago.)
>>

> Well, the 23rd came and went, and all the recordings I’ve made still
> appear to be MPEG-2.  I don’t get beIN Sports, so I can’t test that one.
> I’m assuming they’ll slow roll the transition.   I would too.. they’ll
> inevitably be causing problems for some people.
>

> Same here. Six days later. I just checked MSNBC and CC again. Still MPEG-2.

>From this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/793017-san-francisco-ca-comcast-520.html

OWN on 820 is mpeg4, I'm in Dublin, CA.   I recorded a small sample from my
HDHR Prime and ran mediainfo:

mythtv:~$ mediainfo OWNw.mpg
General
ID                                       : 0 (0x0)
Complete name                            : OWNw.mpg
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 17.2 MiB
Duration                                 : 29s 486ms
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 4 890 Kbps
Law rating                               : TV-PG (L)

Video
ID                                       : 3685 (0xE65)
Menu ID                                  : 8103 (0x1FA7)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High at L4.0
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : 27
Duration                                 : 28s 595ms
Bit rate                                 : 4 261 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.069
Stream size                              : 14.5 MiB (84%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 3686 (0xE66)
Menu ID                                  : 8103 (0x1FA7)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : 129
Duration                                 : 29s 472ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : -1s 10ms
Stream size                              : 1.35 MiB (8%)
Language                                 : English

Menu
ID                                       : 55 (0x37)
Menu ID                                  : 8103 (0x1FA7)
Duration                                 : 29s 486ms
List                                     : 3685 (0xE65) (AVC) / 3686
(0xE66) (AC-3, English)
Language                                 :  / English
Law rating                               : TV-PG (L)