[mythtv-users] Comcast MPEG4 requirements?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 01:48:14 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
,,,,
> Well, the 23rd came and went, and all the recordings I’ve made still appear
> to be MPEG-2.  I don’t get beIN Sports, so I can’t test that one.   I’m
> assuming they’ll slow roll the transition.   I would too.. they’ll
> inevitably be causing problems for some people.

Yes, reportedly slow, at the initial stages.  No matter how many
letters, notifications, announcements, or pop up messages on
your STB, some people will still miss them all.  So Comcast
apparently starts with a few channels (MSNBC and Comedy
Central have been reported as the first "mainstream"
channels to change in some markets, although I have no
idea if those are officially among the first(*), or simply the
first that people notice due to their viewing habits), and then
Comcast will wait for some "I lost my channel" calls.  And
then they do another set (rinse and repeat) with reportedly
more channels in the set sizes as time goes on.

And even after all that, there is a (very) long tail of
people noticing the problems long after the conversion
is "complete" (were off on an extended holiday, never
turn on the TV in the guest bedroom until the next time
the grand-kids visit, ....).

(*) And apparently beIN sports is the first first for those
with the sports package?