[mythtv-users] 3. Re: Ceton infinitv 6 eth, anyone using it? (David Engel) & (Matt Mossholder)

Stephen Baker stephen at wildwood.baker.org
Fri Feb 26 22:56:47 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 22:29 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 9:47 PM, Douglas Sargent <dbsargent at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> >      Question, I assume the box get it's IP by DHCP from my router.
>
> Correct.  It is possible to set the IP address manually
> (I think in the system tab, but I do not currently have
> access to any Ceton tuners to check that).
>
> Typically I would expect that you would want to use your
> DHCP server to set a reservation (so you get a more or
> less "static" IP address that way and that means you
> do not have to run the magic network address reset scripts
> in the case the device moves to a different environment).
>
> Unfortunately, I do not recall the physical device having
> the MAC address on the bottom/side, so you likely
> have to obtain it separately (I could be wrong, and the
> MAC address is on there, it was a long time ago I looked
> at a Ceton device, and my eyes are not what they used
> to be).
>
> > When you add the tuners in Mythtv, what IP address:tuner are you
> > using?
>
> Typically I would expect it to be the IP address from the
> reservation.
>
> > Does it have a web page similar to the other Ceton products to
> > monitor the ETH box?
>
> Yes.
>
> I believe (to first approximation) that Ceton uses
> common firmware (and at startup the device specific
> functionality is enabled), so every device has a similar
> look and feel.  But only those with many different
> tuners have probably compared and contrasted
> carefully.

The device is set up to use DHCP.  There is a default address if DHCP
does not provide an address.  The included paperwork shows that
address.  You can download if you want to see it early.  You can
configure a static address.
You will want to have 1Gb if you expect to be doing more than a couple
simultaneous streams.  I connected mine directly to a port on the BE so
that I am not sharing bandwidth with any of the FE.
I like the device, but there are a couple pet peeves: The onboard clock
starts at the epoch with every boot and there is no NTP setting. And
the device will not syslog to a external device.  I assume that the
underlying OS is some *nix derivative.
The hardest part of using this device is getting support from the cable
provider (Charter).  There customer-facing techs can't envision that a
CableCard could be inserted in anything other than a TiVo.  Being the
last node in the cable, I have had multiple support calls for poor
signal quality.