[mythtv-users] OS X mythtv-frontend only installation

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:19:00 UTC 2016

On 23 February 2016 at 13:02, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>> On Feb 22, 2016, at 7:49 PM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve been looking around and the pre-built binaries I’m finding are packaged with backend and frontend for my Macbook Pro.  I only want to run mythtv frontend so I can edit videos.  I have a mythbuntu backend and a number of Kodi pvr-mythtv small PCs for media viewing.
>>
>> What would be the easiest way to just install the mythtv frontend on a Mac OS X??
>
> jya used to make available a bundled Mac app that contained the frontend only.  I don’t think he’s been updating it recently, however.
>
> You can attempt building it yourself but you’ll need to download and install XCode which is far bigger than Myth.
>
> What is the motivation, anyway?  mythfrontend and mythbackend link to almost exactly the same set of libraries (Qt, ffmpeg, mysql, myth*, …) so the disk savings of a ‘frontend-only’ install isn’t nearly as big as you might think.

I've pushed as requested the new packager that allows compilation of
0.28 frontend/backend.

You need Qt 5.5 SDK ; as a reminding for those who may need it, it's
no longer possible to build a 32/64 bits universal app.

The most important caveat I assumed is that you also *must* run OS X >= 10.9

main reason being that Qt binaries are now compiled with a 10.9 target
and are linked against libc++.

libc++ isn't available on 10.8 and earler and gnu c++ libraries used
in earlier version isn't binary compatible.

I would have had to recompile Qt myselft and tweak it, and I couldn't
be bothered. it takes forever to compile that monster.