[mythtv-users] PIP unwatchable on i5-2400 built in HD2000

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sun Feb 21 08:28:45 UTC 2016

On 2/21/2016 12:28 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> On Thursday, 18 February 2016, stevenospam at gmail.com
> <mailto:stevenospam at gmail.com> <stevenospam at gmail.com
> <mailto:stevenospam at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      > Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:44:56 -0500
>      > From: stevenospam
>      > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org <javascript:;>
>      > Subject: [mythtv-users] PIP unwatchable on i5-2400 built in HD2000
>      >       GPU.    Would a GT730 GPU fix this?
>      >
>      > Hello,
>      >
>      > I am trying out MythTV for the first time.  Thank you to all the
>     mythtv devs;  I see how long running this project is and it was
>     pretty impressive how well the mythbuntu PPA set everything up
>     without me doing much of anything.
>      >
>      > I'm running the FE/BE on a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Intel i5-2400 16GB
>     RAM built in HD2000 graphics, version
>     0.27.6+fixes.20160209.5071dae-0ubuntu0mythbuntu4, installed via PPA,
>     watching TV through HDHomerun Prime comcast 720p/1080i content.
>      >
>      > Everything is working better than I expected.  Skip back/forward
>     is incredibly responsive, fastest I've ever seen.
>      >
>      > Even the de-interlacing which I had worried would be poor if I
>     did not have a standalone GPU is working
>     Karl,
>     Thank you.   Under Current Video Playback profile, I have the
>     setting set to "VAAPI Normal" and the problem persists.  I have also
>     tried the "normal" setting, and it seems to make no difference
>     either way.
>
>     Also, below is the output of 'vainfo':
>
>     $ vainfo
>     libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
>     libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
>     libva info: Trying to open
>     /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
>     libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
>     libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
>     vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.0)
>     vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver - 1.3.0
>     vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
>            VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
>            VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
>            VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
>            VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
>            VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
>            VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>            VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
>            VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>            VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
>            VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
>            VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
>            VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
>

>     PIP is so completely non functional that neither of the 2 pictures
>     become watchable as soon as PIP is enabled. Somehow enabling PIP
>     taxes the computer so hard, despite the CPU being only 20% loaded,
>     that the video only shows a few frames per second. Audio goes away
> [...]

Before you buy a discrete video card, you can try using an OpenGL
playback profile instead of VAAPI. I just gave it a try on my system
with a core i3-3220 with Intel HD Graphics 2500 and it works reasonably
well with my customized OpenGL profile that uses the Kernel (primary)
and One field (fallback) deinterlacers.

FWIW, I found the OpenGL Slim profile wasn't slim enough for this GPU.
That profile uses the Linear blend (2x, HW) (primary) and Linear blend
(HW) (fallback) deinterlacers.

Regards,
Helen