[mythtv-users] OT: Aspect ratio broadcast rant

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sat Feb 20 16:27:58 UTC 2016

    > Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 16:46:01 -0600
    > From: Saul <jaglover at gmail.com>

    > It is pretty irrelevant for me how you call it. If dimensions of
    > picture are altered the picture is stretched.

...which the technology currently under discussion -does not do-.
I don't think you understand what we're talking about here.

The original discussion -was- talking about altering the aspect ratio
from the way it was intended, by broadcasters who apparently don't
care about aspect ratio.  I see this all the time.

The current discussion of anamorphic widescreen -is- talking about a
way of preserving all possible scanlines while presenting the content
at the ratio it was originally intended to be presented.  I've seen
this work very well from DVD sources with an SDTV that can do AW.

These are not the same thing.