[mythtv-users] imon lcd device

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Fri Feb 19 12:39:11 UTC 2016

On Friday, February 19, 2016 13:18 CET, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
 On 17 February 2016 at 11:22, Marius Schrecker
<marius.schrecker at lyse.net> wrote:

> I'm still unsure as to whether imon is correct, or whether the driver should
> be imonlcd, but imon is what the system chooses, if I don't force something
> else, so maybe that's right.

Per the official docs [1], you need the LIRC imon module available for
the LCDd imonlcd driver to work:

"This driver requires the iMON module included with LIRC v0.8.4a or
newer, available from the LIRC project. The 15c2:0038 device may
require LIRC v0.8.5 or newer."

[1] http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/current-user.html#imonlcd-howto

> All the (old) documentation suggests imonlcd and imonlcd was what was
> working before.

The LCDd.conf should configure the imonlcd driver. This is a separate
(non-kernel) driver to the imon module provided with the kernel/LIRC.

I erred in my initial response when I stated I have an LCD in my
Silverstone case - I have a VFD. The VFD uses the imon/imon LIRC/LCDd
combination, the LCD the imon/imonlcd combo.

The LIRC imon module should be able to autodetect your display type
based on its USB ID, so I'd remove any imon-related module options
from /etc/modprobe.d for the timebeing. You could enable debug whilst
you are getting it working, and should only need to specify the
display_type if autodetection fails.

You'll get there!

Nick

 That was very informative. I think I may have been mixing the terms "driver" and "module", which in this case are different concepts.

  What confused me all the more was that the system is loading teh "imon" module by default.

Unfortunately it looks as if I won't be able to work on this again before next week as my switch is stuck in the post and won't be arriving before Monday.  Until then, no network to/from my mythbox and no remote access.

BR.

--Marius