[mythtv-users] Beta of MiniMyth2 RPI2 edition

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 20:22:16 UTC 2016

On 13/02/16 23:52, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
>> Wiadomość napisana przez Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk at gmail.com> w dniu 27.01.2016, o godz. 21:27:
>>
>> Hi *
>>
>> Last year Santa Claus decided to gift me RPI2 :-)
>> I started to play with it and later I decided: let my RPI2 learning be
>> useful for others.
>> So I decided to prepare small, dedicated to MythTV frontend distro
>> converting RPI2 into ready to run MythTV frontend.
>> Goal is to get running MythTV on RPI2 in easiest possible way.
>>
>> Currently procedure is like this:
>>
>> 1.Partition SD card
>> 2.Download & unpack file to SD card
>> 3.Insert SD card into RPI2
>> 4.Power-on RPI2
>> 5.Select discovered MythTV backend.
>> 6.You should get fully running MythTV on PRI2
>>
>> Now I have initial ver. with current MythTV master.
>> This is beta & prof-of-concept - so expect changes and issues....
>>
>> If anybody wants to try, procedure is following:
>>

>> 0.You have to have working in Your LAN:
>> -MythTV backend with current MythTV master
>> -properly working DHCP server
>>

>> 1.Partition SD card:
>>
>> (a) Start fdisk to partition the SD card:
>>    "fdisk /dev/sdX"
>>
>> (b) At the fdisk prompt, delete old partitions and create a new one:
>>    Type o. This will clear out any partitions on the drive.
>>    Type p to list partitions. There should be no partitions left.
>>    Type n, then p for primary, 1 for the first partition on the drive,
>> press ENTER to accept the default first sector, then type +100M for the
>> last sector.
>>    Type t, then c to set the first partition to type W95 FAT32 (LBA).
>>    Type n, then p for primary, 2 for the second partition on the
>> drive, and then press ENTER twice to accept the default first and last
>> sector.
>>    Write the partition table and exit by typing w.
>>
>> (c) Create and mount the FAT filesystem:
>>    "mkfs.vfat /dev/sdX1"
>>    "mkdir boot"
>>    "mount /dev/sdX1 boot"
>>
>> (d) Create and mount the ext4 filesystem:
>>    "mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdX2"
>>    "mkdir root"
>>    "mount /dev/sdX2 root"
>>

>> 2. Install MiniMyth2 RPI edition software on SD card:
>> (replace "xx" in URL!)
>> (a) Download software (as root, not via sudo)
>>    "wgethxxp://warped.homenet.org/MiniMyth2-rpi2-latest.tar.bz2"
>>    "bsdtar -xpf MiniMyth2-rpi2-latest.tar.bz2 -C root"
>>    "sync"
>> (b) Move boot files to the first partition:
>>    "mv root/boot/* boot"
>> (c) Unmount the two partitions:
>>    "umount boot root"
>>

>> 3. Insert SD card to RPI2, power-on
>>

>> 4. You should see country/language selection screen. Select appropriate.
>>

>> 5. Next You should see BE selection. Select BE and use "Save".
>>

>> 6. Normally you should see reloading frontend and next famous MythTV
>> main menu, but due MythTV ARM bug, mythfrontend initial reload gives
>> black screen. Solution to this is simply kill mythfrontend process.
> [...]
Piotr,

I have tried the latest version v7.12.5 and it is working quite well,
even themes download now works! The only changes I have made to
config.txt are to set disable_overscan=1,hdmi_group=1,hdmi_mode=31 (50Hz
1920x1080p).

I had the same problem as Peter Bennett with initial setup Country
Language, I just created a config.xml and rebooted -everything worked at
this point. Attached is zipped log file.

I have 3 mythtv backends on my network, all of which showed up as
"firewall".
The 3 backends are:
a) Mythbuntu 14.04 running 0.28pre ppa.
b) Ubuntu 15.10 running 0.28pre ppa
c) Debian Jessie running mythtv built from git master (0.28)

I suspect the inital setup problem may be due to myth-backend settings
and/or ipv4/v6 issues and possibly mysql bind addresses. My network is
ipv4. Can you post your myth-backend setting relating to ip addresses,
link local settings, together with your mysql bind address.