[mythtv-users] imon lcd device

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Wed Feb 17 11:22:10 UTC 2016

Thanks Hika,

 Again, I do not know your imon thing, so I'm in part guessing. I
understand, it's a different thing then your ir remote, so in essence
unrelated.
To come back, yes for your remote, if you're satisfied with the default
through the event system, you do not need lirc.
The new event system has a few limitations, it's what rules among
others keyboards and mice and as such delivers out-of-the-box default
solutions. Just like with those keyboards and mice. But it's relative
new and the support-base for ir devices still needs to grow. Also if
you are not satisfied with the delivered default, it is more difficult
to adapt. But if it works as you want, OK.
It however does not support output, only input, so no blasters and if
communication to your imon device is needed about what to put on that
display ..., you'll need the old solution, which is as I understand
through lirc. However be careful that it does not bite your remote.
But as I don't know this imon device I can only give limited help
there.
If this lirc_imon driver comes from the lirc package, I don't expect
the node to be in /dev/input, but somebody closely involved in lirc
now and the walks this list, so maybe he can help more.I think the problem is very specific to the imon lcd screen, which output's to /dev/lcd2 if using the imon driver.

I'm still unsure as to whether imon is correct, or whether the driver should be imonlcd, but imon is what the system chooses, if I don't force something else, so maybe that's right.

All the (old) documentation suggests imonlcd and imonlcd was what was working before.

As it's a failry standard lcd screen on htpc cases, It's probably best to wat now, 'til someone with direct experience of the device comes along.

cheers!

--Marius--