[mythtv-users] imon lcd device

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 10:48:56 UTC 2016

Hoi Marius,

Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 11:14:48 AM, you wrote:

> Thanks for your responses Hika,
>
> What then is the LCD pointing to? Does it come with a monitor?
> Anyway, I guess lirc_imon comes with lirc, but you are now working
> through the build in event system in the kernel. Lirc can work with
> the event system, but its drivers work with the old /dev/lirc. So you
> have to choose which driver you're gona use. The kernel event drivers,
> which need most of the time little set-up to work, but mostely only
> support defaults or the lirc drivers, which have extra features, but
> which setting up can sometimes be a long road.
>  I'm sorry, I'm getting more and more confused here, so I'm not sure I understand your question,
> It's the standard, Soundgraph lcd, similar to the one pictured at
> https://www.mythtv.org/w/images/e/e0/Fusion.jpg

> as such, it's not "pointing" to any external monitor, but it has a
> builtin, lcd screen of a few pixels.

> I'l like to forget lirc altogether as the IR input works flawlessly
> using a pure, event interface.  So by LCD, I am referring to the lcd
> screen itself, which has always been easy to set up to dislpay
> MythTV menu position and playback info .... up to now, that is.

> Yes, I did install lirc, but only to get the imon_lirc driver for
> the LCD (screen) - not the IR receiver, which, as stated works fine
> without it. I'd uninstall the whole lirc stack in a flash, if this can be made to work without it.

>  But chances are that I'm barking completely up the wrong tree here. So, some simple questions.

> * To get both the  ID 15c2:0038 IR receiver and the LCD screen to
> work with MythTV, do I NEED lirc, or is Lirc now only an optional
> extra layer between the IR events and MythTV.

> * Is the "imon" module reliant on lirc, or is it independent?
> * Does the "imon" module drive the LCD display of the 15c2:0038
> device? If so how should it be configured?
> * It seems to create the /dev/lcd2 node when loaded. How can I send
> test data to that node, to have it displayed on the screen?

> *Given that the screen can be driven, to show my test data, how can
> I make sure that MythTV is talking to it?  In the FE setup dialog I
> don't see any way to configure ports or /dev/ nodes. Are there
> standard exepected values that should be used?

>  BR.

> --Marius--

Again, I do not know your imon thing, so I'm in part guessing. I
understand, it's a different thing then your ir remote, so in essence
unrelated.
To come back, yes for your remote, if you're satisfied with the default
through the event system, you do not need lirc.
The new event system has a few limitations, it's what rules among
others keyboards and mice and as such delivers out-of-the-box default
solutions. Just like with those keyboards and mice. But it's relative
new and the support-base for ir devices still needs to grow. Also if
you are not satisfied with the delivered default, it is more difficult
to adapt. But if it works as you want, OK.
It however does not support output, only input, so no blasters and if
communication to your imon device is needed about what to put on that
display ..., you'll need the old solution, which is as I understand
through lirc. However be careful that it does not bite your remote.
But as I don't know this imon device I can only give limited help
there.
If this lirc_imon driver comes from the lirc package, I don't expect
the node to be in /dev/input, but somebody closely involved in lirc
now and the walks this list, so maybe he can help more.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop