[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi frontend - Tarball by Lawrence Questions

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 18:04:08 UTC 2016

On 16-02-16 10:24 AM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> The code to copy to the RPI is in the tar.bz2 file that is created in
> the directory below mythinstall, mythbuild, mythtv, etc. The mythinstall
> directory contains a lot of extra unneeded stuff.

Thank you Peter for the prompt response.

The only .tar.bz2 file I have under my rpi directory is
mythpatches-0.24.tar.bz2.

To cross compile I used the following commands:

PATH="$PWD/tools/arm-bcm2708/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian/bin:$PATH"
export RASPBIAN_FLAVOUR=jessie
./mythbuild.sh -2 -Q 5.4.0

Perhaps I missed something in the build instructions?

If I copy the *bin*, *lib*, *plugins*, and *share* subdirectories from
under *mythinstall* to my RPi2 then mythfrontend appears to work.

I agree that there does appear to be a lot of extra unneeded stuff under
the **mythinstall** directory.

> I am working on bug fixes for it and also have a 0.28 version that is
> working.

I've been testing the 0.27 version on Raspbian Jessie with Lawrence's
suggested over-clock settings and the openmax video playback profile.
My testing results so far are as follows:

Pros

- Recordings playback with smooth video and clear stereo sound.
- On Screen Display (OSD) works well with no disruption to video.
  Fast forward, rewind and commercial skip works almost as well as
  on my Intel Core i5 2500K MythTV Backend/Frontend combination.
- RPi2 has low power requirements (less than 10 watts)
- Playback worked well with HDMI to a Samsung 1920x1080 LCD TV,
  and also with composite video to a 4:3 CRT television.

Cons

- Menu navigation sometimes shows temporary "blocking" around text,
  noticable when moving between different recordings when a TV show
  background is displayed.
- North American ATSC recordings with closed caption subtitles do not
  display with the openmax video setting. Subtitles work with OpenGL
  High Quality video setting, but if subtitles are enabled then
  occasionally there is some pixelation in the video playback.
- With a 1680x1050 (non-standard HD) LCD monitor the edges of the
  video image are not visible on the screen. I also tried various
  RPi2 config.txt parameters but these also had no effect. This
  behaviour is the same as with my Intel MythTV Backend/Frontend
  combination and is likely due to how my monitor handles an HD video
  HDMI feed.

> I don't know what the eventual release method will be. The mythtv
> developers are working on a package build, but I don't know the status.
>
> I have held off on creating any wiki documentation on it until I know
> the eventual package distribution method.
>
> Peter

Having an official release method and package build would be nice. In
the meantime I've been happy with the current work and simply wish to
share how to set up an RPi2 using the work-to-date.

Curtis