[mythtv-users] Upgrade from qt 5.4.2 to qt 5.5.1

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 03:09:00 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 7:31 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) <cats22 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> I am on wily and trying to test mythtv 0.28. It seems the below error is
> caused by a qt 5.4.2 bug. I tried downloading the qt 5.5.1 binary installer
> from qt.io, but that installs into /opt/Qt5.5.1. I pointed
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH at /opt/Qt5.5.1/5.5/gcc_64/lib where the libraries are, and
> ran the backend. The backend fails with "error while loading shared
> libraries: libgstapp-0.10.so.0: cannot open".

Having worked with a lot of stubborn package based distros before finding
Gentoo, my usual MO would be :

Download new gstreamer
Totally replace gstreamer install with new gstreamer install

./configure --prefix=/usr ; make ; make install

As for why it doesnt just look at the '.so' and instead looks for the
versioned .so, well, the reason the SO version changes is when the
application's API changes backwards-incompatibly. It won't link and work
the same, so if a program codes to a specific API version, then the library
to use that API must also match.

Your mileage may vary with regard to the ease of doing this; you may need
numerous -dev header packages installed along with GCC etc.

Mike