[mythtv-users] Comcast MPEG4 requirements?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 04:03:47 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 3:50 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> I just checked my test channel 1995 here in the east bay. Still MPEG 1/2
> according to VLC.

There is a report from Atlanta that it (the dots)
will always be seen as MPEG2 as what actually
happens is that the in-band information tells a
Comcast STB to "call home" and ask if it is
good-to-go for H.264 (just as the interactive
on-demand service activates a call home to
negotiate with the mother ship).

So, unless your MythTV recorder has been
updated to recognize and respond to the
"interactive" in-band service(*) what you see
(the dots) is all you are ever going to see.

Reports are that Comedy Central and MSNBC
have been the first to transition in at least
some franchises, but once they start, they
move (reasonably) rapidly (I mean, for
Comcast, it is as if they have gone to plaid!)

(*) And if you have done so, please share
those patches