[mythtv-users] OT...Using vnc on higher resolution screens

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 11 23:17:12 UTC 2016

I realise this is not a mythtv issue but I know a number of people on
the list use vnc and they may find this useful.

I have been using x11vnc as my vnc server for some years now and found
it incredibly useful as one of the things it does is transmit video on
screen over the vnc connection from the remote box if I need to do
quick testing that something is working.  While it's not what you
would do in a production environment it's useful in a testbed.

One of the problems is that as screen resolutions have increased,
particularly on laptops vnc becomes less useful as you just cannot
read the text on remote connections.

Some time ago I asked if there was a vnc client that allowed
scaling....i.e. it would take say a 1920x1200 incoming screen and
scale it up by a factor of say 1.3 and show it on my 4K laptop, thus
allowing me to read text without having to use tricks such as Compiz
magnify.

I became aware that ssvnc allows this functionality, but didn't have
time to investigate it properly until I had a spare box to do test
builds on.

So tonight I downloaded the ssvnc tarball from karlrunges website.
Compiled it, which was a bit messy as it has quite a few dependencies
some of which are not well documented, ran it connecting to an
existing x11vnc server session with a simple command of

>ssvncviewer -scale 1.3 <hostipaddress>

and behold a working scaling vnc session.

you can scale either up or down and ssvnc supports assorted other
funky features such as encryption and tunneling.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Tony