[mythtv-users] SD looks worse under vaapi normal playback profile

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Feb 11 20:13:32 UTC 2016

I've got the Liva X which has Intel Corporation Atom Processor
Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display--video hardware that, from
everything I've gathered, is vaapi-compatible. I'd been unable to compile
MythTV with vaapi support until just recently and had been using the
normal (non-vaapi) playback profile on this system. I finally managed to
get MythTV to compile with vaapi support and have begun trying out the
vaapi normal playback profile.

It's hard to tell much difference in HD playback (contrary to most, I
consider 720p to be HD), but I'd say there may be a slight improvement
using vaapi normal, as opposed to the normal, playback profile I'd been
using, when viewing HD content. But when it comes to SD playback, the
vaapi normal playback profile looks noticeably worse than it does under
the normal profile. I'm not real conversant in video effects nomenclature
but I believe what I am seeing under the vaapi normal playback profile
when viewing SD content may qualify as "combing." To add a verbal
description, one of the chief things I notice when playing back SD content
under the vaapi normal profile is that when some there is in the picture
some line that runs on a diagonal with respect to the screen borders, that
line is noticeably stepped and not very smooth. Under the normal playback
profile, on the other hand, I can barely note this sort of stepping on
such diagonal lines.

So I just wanted to ask here whether there might be any further adjustment
I may need to make in order to get better results under the vaapi normal
playback profile when viewing SD content? I've done a little research on
this and noted a wiki article on the vaapi normal playback profile. My
painter had been set to "auto," as the wiki article recommended. I also
tried opengl as the painter, but results were the same--the sort of
combing I described was just as apparent, whether the painter was set to
"auto" or to "opengl."

Maybe the vaapi normal playback profile just does not handle well SD
playback? Input will be appreciated.