[mythtv-users] Channel scanner won't find a specific channel

David Parker parker.david.a at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 03:34:29 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 6:55 PM, HP-mini <blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> The jitter is still too high even for the 30p "good" recording.
> Your system does not seem to have enough I/O bandwidth.
> Or your display refresh rate or resolution/mode is non-ideal.
> Would need to see the whole FE log file.
>
> The original recording 18Mb/sec is on the high side.
>
> Can you use / try h/w assisted video decode?

I'm not sure.  The video hardware in this box is an onboard Radeon HD 4200
and it's using the stock kernel driver.  I'll poke around and see.  I may
need to install the proprietary ATI driver.

Maybe mythtranscode is dropping the bitrate or changing slice refresh B
> frames into I frames (never used it here, never had mpeg2 video).
> Normal broadcast OTA digital has uniform bitrate (no I frame spikes).
>
> I'd follow Stuart's advise to check the playback jitterometer buffers..

I played a good video and the bad video with the Playback Data OSD showing,
and in both cases, everything matched what Stuart said it should be.  The
info for the bad (stuttering) video is as follows:

Storage to Buffer: >1 Gbps
Buffer to Decoder: (Ranging between 6.0 Mbps and 12.0 Mbps)
Available Buffer: 99% of 4 Mb
Video: 1280x720 at 59.94 fps
Codec/Dec: MPEG-2 ffmpeg
CPUs: (Averaging 8% on each of the 3 CPUs)
FPS: (Ranging from 30-45 +/- 0.25-0.33)
A/V Sync: (Ranging from 0.50-3.00)
Frames decoded/free: 29/1
Audio: AC3
Channels: 6
Sample rate: 48 kHz

So nothing stands out in the playback data except for the FPS, which is
much lower than the 60 FPS it should be.

Thanks!
Dave