[mythtv-users] Upgrading older mythbuntu

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Fri Feb 5 10:59:01 UTC 2016

To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
From: marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 09:04:37 +0100
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Upgrading older mythbuntu

On Friday, February 5, 2016 08:45 CET, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
  I'll read both of those. The elements I've had trouble with earlier have been my Imon lcd panel and IR receiver - now also using a newer Harmony remote, that seems not to send such clear keystrokes as my earlier model and an early apple bluetooth keyboard, connecting through a re-flashed D-Link DBT-120. Other than that, the only challenge is likely to be upgrading mythconverg. I recently got a Harmony IR remote working on Mythbuntu 14.04. See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/592851#592851 It's different than on 12.04.
Yes, Mine is (kinda) working using devinput. After quite a struggle I ended up purging most of what I had done and in the end the thing just worked ---up to a point -- out of the box.  I think the main problem is with the combination of newer harmony and imon receiver.  From my old harmony (can't remember the number) the codes came through loud and clear, but the Harmony touch I have now just doesn't seem to manage as well (despite Logitech trying to sort it out), and dmesg floods with unrecognised keystrokes on certain keys -- EXIT for example is always sticky...sometijmes it's recognised and sometimes not and I have to keep pressed for several seconds, before MythTV suddenly jumps back several steps and I have to start again. I think there are two modes of operation with imon, one "Native" and the other masquerading as a microsoft media remote....Not sure how to configure one or't t'other but will Google.

 BR.

--M--
I've finally found a remote that works all the time.  Partly because I use a Harmony Smart Control remote and phone app.  I also use Kodi for my front end most of the time.  I found an old Microsoft MCE remote for $14 on Amazon and use just the receiver.  I setup the Smart control for the Frontend to be a Media PC.  Also the Kore app is great for Kodi.

For Mythtv-Frontend I mostly just a wireless keyboard/trackball como from IOGear.

Jim  A