[mythtv-users] Chromecast

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Feb 4 18:56:42 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-02-04 at 10:06 +1030, Mark Perkins wrote:

> On 4 Feb 2016, at 8:42 am, Anthony Giggins
> <seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:

> > On 3 February 2016 at 22:12, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> >         On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Daniel Frey
> >         <dmfrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> >                 I am still planning on adding that support to MythTV
> >                 Player.

> > Personally I'd like to see mythfrontend become a chromcast or
> > miracast server to fill in the gap left from apple breaking airplay
> > in recent IOS versions.

a digital media renderer (DMR)
MythTV has the code stub for this missing feature.

> Absolutely +1 this. I haven't sat down and done my research but some
> way to just display pictures or video clips from either a iOS or
> Android device through mythfrontend would be fantastic. I didn't use
> the AirPlay functionality a lot but certainly miss it now it's gone.

I use gmediarender (github gmrender-resurrect) as service on FE.
I believe this can run on android devices so almost a FOSS chromecast.
Shows up with media control points upnp-inspector etc.
Can use nautilus plugin (Cohen fork of coherence) to send photos, audio
& video files.
Haven't worked out how to scale video/picture to full screen.
Downside is it doesn't integrate with MythTV FE..