[mythtv-users] restoring some channels to get back EIT functionality

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 31 14:33:38 UTC 2016

I have a dvb-s2 setup. Annoyingly, I've always had several copies of most
channels, as in: BBC One on channel 27340, BBC One on 27360, etc (I am
making the numbers up), plus the other variations such as BBC One Wales,
BBC One NI and so forth. This meant that while scheduling recordings each
movie would appear a dozen times.

A few days ago I decided to get rid of the seemingly redundant channels.
First I backed up the database. Then I went into mythtv-setup, channel
editor, and deleted all the BBC One variations except BBC One HD. Similarly
for other channels.

All seemed to work fine and a few shows were recorded since.

Now however I have discovered that the guide data for BBC One HD and BBC
Two HD is always empty. (Other BBC channels, such as BBC News HD, do show
EIT guide data, and so do Channel 4 HD, ITV HD and so forth.) So maybe (go
figure) one of the variants I deleted had the EIT data and I should try to
get it back.

Of course if I were simply to restore the database from just before nuking
those channels, I would lose the metadata of the shows recorded in the past
week, so that doesn't work.

I see there is an option to do

mythconverg_restore.pl --restore_xmlvids

hopefully without clobbering the rest of the database about recording
metadata, however
a) it's unclear whether the xmlvids (whatever they are) are the things I am
trying to restore
b) this seems to work not from a general full backup (the one the wiki
heavily encourages one to make) but from a backup created
with --backup_xmltvids, so that won't work either.

Another route might be to redo a channel scan. I am always wary of that, as
another thing more likely to screw things up than to fix them, but anyway,
let's live dangerously.

>From the channel editor I try channel scan, but the first screen I
encounter, scan configuration, warns me of a "failure to open card" in scan
type.

I remember I had no end of trouble doing a scan in the first place since
upgrading to Mythbuntu 16.04 and Myth 0.28, because it always failed to
detect the adapter. But I eventually got it to work by running

femon -H a0

in a separate terminal and leaving it going before opening mythtv-setup.
I tried the same trick here but no joy: still "failure to open card",
meaning I can't run a channel scan.

Have I got any other options left to restore EIT on those channels?