[mythtv-users] listen to downloaded podcast (mp3) under MythTV?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Fri Dec 30 12:29:37 UTC 2016

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016, James Miller wrote:

> I've implemented a crude approximation of the sort of audio-player
> functionality I'm aiming for by misappropriating MythTV's "Videos"
> functionality. I've symlinked the directory containing the podcasts under the
> videos directory, then added a new file extension (mp3) under video settings
>> file types. I can then, in the "video list" view, scan for changes and the
> podcast audio files are picked up. I can also play them from there, albeit
> looking at a blank screen. But volume buttons and fast-forward do work--and I
> can even delete these files after listening. This is the closest
> approximation, using the MythTV interface, of the behavior I'd like to see

I thought I might address the issue of staring at a blank screen while
listening to the downloaded podcast by stipulating an alternate player for
the file type: mpv is on this system and, when I invoke it manually to
play these files it displays a minimalistic interface. But so far no
incarnation of the mpv command--including giving the full path and %s (the
wiki says "you can use %s to substitute the filename") will invoke the
alternate player. Any input on properly invoking the alternate player to
handle this mp3 extension? Thanks.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Frontend#File_Types See the
subsection File Types, Associate new file extensions (Setup->Media
Settings->Videos Settings->File Types)