[mythtv-users] Upgrade path for Mythbuntu 14.04?

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 01:18:21 UTC 2016

On 12/22/16 9:08 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> You can upgrade directly from any LTS version to the next LTS version.
> You usually have to wait for the .1 release before this works though.
> So you can directly upgrade from 14.04.x to 16.04.1.  I prefer to do
> it using the command line: do-release-upgrade.

I've heard of some folks having less-than-successful results with
upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04.  And as a data point of just one machine
(but also 100% of the systems I tried to bring from 14.04 to 16.04), I
have a VM that I was able to take from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 without
trouble, but the 14.04 to 16.04 update broke things, including X.

Given that 14.04 is supported for more than 2 more years to come, it may
be worth verifying that upgrading to 16.04 gets you something that is
both something that you want, and is also not available with 14.04.

-WD