[mythtv-users] Questions about conversion from analog to digital recording (PVR500 to Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH)

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 14:36:59 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have a Ceton ETH 6 and it has been working well for about two years
> now. Unfortunately Ceton seem to have gone out of business, but if you
> can get a used one I would recommend it. The setup on MythTV is easy,
> there are web pages served by the Ceton that give the information needed
> for pairing it with the cable card.
>
> I bought the Ceton because I was having endless problems with a HD
> Homerun Prime (Hangs and Watchdog reboots), which were not resolved in a
> replacement unit I received under warranty.
>
> If you have any specific questions I can help. I also have a saved copy
> of the latest firmware from January 2015 that addresses a copy protect
> problem mentioned by Gary.
>
> Some tips -
> 1. It gets hot enough to peel the label off. I stand it on a small fan
> which keeps it nice and cool, although others say that is unnecessary.
> 2. There is a memory leak in the firmware. I reboot the Ceton once a
> week. If you don't do that it runs out of memory after a month or two,
> and may hang or reboot itself.

Peter,

Thank you again for your feedback and advice.

Now that the dust is settling (figuratively) with my transition to a used
Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH box, I wanted to compare the firmware version it has
to the revised version you mentioned you have archived.

My box has version 14.10.3.163, with a release date of Friday, 03. October
2014.  It was installed on my box on Mon Jan 5 01:45:02 2015.

Casting about on the Ceton website, the best information I could find was
that the latest firmware version for InfiniTV 6 products is only 14.4.6.21
(lower that what I've got!).

If what I have is older than what you have, what issue(s) might I encounter
that would prompt for upgrading my box?

-----------

As a separate issue, in looking at the system log on my Ceton, I noticed
that the system log date/time started at 1/1 00:00:02 and never corrected
to current time, even though there are log entries like:
        Jan  4 17:50:05 ocur[21]: ocur: STT time Sat Dec 24 14:11:25 2016
UTC
Do you know if there is a way to fix this? (It makes it challenging to
figure out when [what time] the Ceton did/didn't do things.)

Finally, I'm thinking of putting the Ceton box on my "smart" power strip
with my MythTV backend, such that it will power down whenever my BE is
shutdown and power up when my BE wakes up in advance of recording something
or being used to watch something.  This is how I had the Comcast DTAs set
up previously.  From the Ceton log, it looks like my current wake-up lead
time of three (3) minutes before showtime should be fine.  Do you have any
advice/warnings on this idea?

--
Craig.