[mythtv-users] Upgrade path for Mythbuntu 14.04?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 03:09:42 UTC 2016

You can upgrade directly from any LTS version to the next LTS version.
You usually have to wait for the .1 release before this works though.
So you can directly upgrade from 14.04.x to 16.04.1.  I prefer to do
it using the command line: do-release-upgrade.

Personally, I prefer to run two bootable partitions so I can run any
new system in parallel with the old one until I have the new one
working properly.  But doing a full backup before upgrading also
works.  I use Clonezilla for full backups.

Mythbuntu still exists as a 16.04.1 distribution, so it is best to use
that and upgrade to it.  Worry about the problem of Mythbuntu going
away next time around.

Before you do the OS upgrade though, do the MythTV upgrade to 0.28 on
14.04.  You really do not want to be doing both upgrades at once and
0.28 is good on 14.04.

Do you use external frontends or network tuners?  Are any of your
internal tuners slow to start up (eg slow loading firmware)?  If so,
then the default systemd settings for mythbackend in 16.04.1 will not
work and you will need to override them.  I worked out how to do this,
and Jim Abernathy has put it in his install guide available here:

http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.co.nz/2016/12/how-to-install-
mythbuntu-16041.html

I think it is also available from the MythTV Wiki now.

Stephen-

Thanks for the information. I'm transitioning from a pair of Hauppauge
PVR-500 dual-encoder cards to a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH tuner box for my cable
service as I write this.  Not sure if the Ceton would be considered slow
starting as I haven't had it running very much yet.

I will look at the link you provided tomorrow morning. Thank you!

--
Craig.