[mythtv-users] Upgrade path for Mythbuntu 14.04?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 01:38:30 UTC 2016

> Today I started looking at the Mythbuntu website to see how to get onto
> the current 16.04 LTE based version with MythTV 0.28.
>
> About the only two things I got that I'm sure of is that I need to run the
> Software Updater application and get everything up to date and then get a
> full system back up before I do a system update.
>
> After that, it gets pretty fuzzy.  Do I need to update through 14.10,
> 15.04, ... or can I go directly from 14.04 to 16.04?
>
> Since Mythbuntu as a separate distro is going away, do I need to upgrade
> to something like Xubuntu or Kubuntu and then simply update/upgrade the
> MythTV package(s) from the upgraded system's package manager?  Do I need to
> reverse the order and update/upgrade MythTV first, before upgrading the OS?

Sorry, I don't have an answer but am considering the same questions. The
main thing that worries me is that I'll do the right thing and take a full
database backup, only to find that it's incomaptible with whatever new
Ubuntu-based system I build due to different MythTV versions. It would be
great if someone had some advice on avoiding that pitfall as part of this
whole upgrade process.