[mythtv-users] Questions about conversion from analog to digital recording (PVR500 to Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Dec 22 10:34:31 UTC 2016

On 22/12/16 04:49, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 7:51 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Karl,
>>
>> I'm not sure if you're addressing both questions or only the second one,
>> but because Comcast went digital here several years ago, the Hauppauge
>> PVR-500 "analog" encoders are fed data by DTAs that are rented from
>> Comcast. Therefor, I interpret your feedback to mean the warning about
>> using the same tuning source data for the encoders ("analog") and the
>> non-encoders ("digital") does not apply in this instance since they really
>> are getting the same feed, just one goes through more hoops.
>>
>> That leaves the business about zero analog and zero digital tuners
>> connected that bothers me, although, as I said earlier, the Ceton
>> successfully recorded a test program.
>>

> Sorry, I exhausted my knowledge on the subject, since I'm still using a PVR
> 500 with STB and DTA. But I believe in that case your video source might
> work for both of your input types.

Nope. You are tuning different /hardware/. Doesn't matter what the original source of your input is.
Analog hardware will require one tuning method, digital hardware requires a completely different
method. Hence two sources.

You should, however, be able to tie those both to the same SD account, since the channel selection
you can get either way will be exactly the same.

--

Mike Perkins